Thursday, September 23, 2010

Arrested Attention (this entry is a result of sitting at the airport gate for longer than I would like)



This week I will be in Florida for my first National Sales Meeting with my company. I really am not looking forward to the idea of interjecting a 15 second who I am and where I’m from hundreds of times to an audience that is comprised of years of friendships and history. One thing I am looking forward to though are the rituals I have started to notice whenever I fly. Number one, break out the Starbucks iPhone app to find the closes gate where one is. It probably is the only reason I have the app besides the fact that I like the icon of it on the phone but not walking 25 minutes the wrong way when you could have walked 5 min the right way counts for a lot if something can save you from that. Second, I must buy Peanut butter M&M’s. Tied with Reeses peanut butter cups, M&Ms are my most favorite candy and I only buy them when I fly now. Most importantly so far not many airports carry them, but DFW does. What’s funny is now I see myself more addicted to the ritual of buying and having the M&Ms more than even eating them. I for some reason really dig the red orange color of the bag so I won’t even eat them until sometimes 3 days into the trip. Lastly on my list of travel rituals is making a playlist for my iPod/most current broken iPhone  to listen to on the plane. I recently loaded up on all the newest Kanye, Rick Ross and Drake and then mixed in some Erykah Baydu and Johnny Cash’s Greatest Hits. Which by the way I am convinced every man should own. No matter the mode of transportation you take Johnny Cash makes a trip instantly edgier and more adventurous. Right before every trip I pray for the mail to bless me with the most current issues of my subscription GQ and Esquire first. Then I usually find a paper or business magazine that I can enjoy with the arrested time that is air travel. As I blogged a couple entries lower I bought the new Rolling Stone with the Mad Men cast on the front so I plan to enjoy that as well. Those WERE my plans. I almost completely forgot that my wife’s talented cousin had given scripts of four different screenplays so I HAVE to finish at least his top two must reads according to him. Oh and I already saw my first celebrity Monday morning, former actor and MTV personality Bill Bellamy. I kid because he really is irrelevant these days but I instantly recognized him and he was taking pictures with what I guess you would call former fans. I must say though, the man had the best hair I ever saw when I approached him to shake his hand. That celebrity money no matter what list you’re on even if it’s D has it benefits; I wanted to steal his sunglasses. Regardless, I’m really looking forward to ingesting all these stimulators in the arrested state that is air travel and praying I don’t get sick since I forgot to participate in my most important ritual, taking my Airborne.

No comments:

Post a Comment