Monday, May 2, 2011

Roadside Prayers

I'll never forget one Saturday  when I moved a family into Towne Crossing Apartments in Mansfield, TX back when I was in the business of leasing apartments. The husband had just landed a great job close by and decided to uproot his wife and two kids from Oklahoma. On the way up his pickup truck's tire blew out. In a hurry to get finished moving and paying movers by the hour he left his truck to change the tire afterwards. So after hours of unloading he and his family's belongings he got his brother to take him back to his truck to change his tire on the side of the highway. As he finished and was loading up the tools a car veered off the highway and smashed him between his truck and the charging car causing him to be in critical condition. The next Monday  morning the family made me aware of what had happened and that he had lost his arm and leg. Mind you he was off the shoulder in the grass and was still hit. When I found out about this it really bugged me and I felt for the guy and his family. All of their plans would immediately change before they even spent their first night in their new plans. Wife didn't work and dad was everything. 
So all of that to START this... Since then EVERY single roadside tire changer, hood checker, smoke fanner you name it gets a quick pray from me. I won't ever forget seeing how happy and hopeful that guy was days before and then finding out that all of his intentions and ambitions were taken away from him by some unfortunate idiot. What's cool to me, is that now that I work out on the open road daily with a route the past 2 years that has extended from Denton to south of Waco I've said a whole bunch of prayers for sidelined drivers. I feel a responsibility to do that little bit to pray for their protection. Maybe that's why I have this job right now so that I can be this for many people. Happy to be it. 

1 comment: