Monday, May 2, 2011

The Fine Art of the Car Deal


Oh the car buying process! What an American tradition of an overly drawn out pissing match of stand offs and eye brow raising. Who will get the better of whom? Just this past week my wife and I purchased our first vehicle as a couple, A 2010 Acura TSX. It was nothing short of the initial description above but being educated about the process makes it feel less like your wearing a blindfold when it's your turn to shoot in the match. I sold cars at an Arlington dealer for month and learned a little about how the leverage and car buying process goes but a resource I found online was perfect for anyone seeking to understand how to protect oneself from that humbling buyers remorse feeling while driving off the lot in your new "sucker wagon". The site is listed here How to Best Negotiate a Car Deal. This sites instructions and advice prepared me and gave me confidence. Made me feel like Gordon Gecko in Wall Street or Baldwin in Glenn Gary Glenn Ross. I was ready to kick ass and take names. Unfortunately my lovely wife took all that confidence from my sales pitch. I felt like the prosecution did when the glove didn't fit OJ.  You see the Acura TSX (The only car her heart desired within our agreement) is made in Japan, Tsunami Japan, where demand suddenly has gone through the roof. The car is made there, not just parts. She wanted black on black non navigation only in model year 2010. This of course meant that any dealer who already understood the value of the vehicle based on low supply and high demand could now hold me hostage for the my specific specifications since we were unwilling to settle for alternative colors. To boot as each vehicles availability would pop online it would disappear within 3-5 days. YEA!!! All my preparation down the drain. But in the end we did get what I considered a great deal on the car and bought from a good honest car salesman (possible oxymoron). He was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment